LOADING ICC PROFILES INTO PHOTOSHOP
Please note soft-proofing can only be helpful by working on a calibrated monitor. If you have not calibrated your monitor and do not have a calibration device check out the ColorMunki.
1. Download the papers icc profile you would like to soft-proof on the bottom of this page.
The icc profiles are for soft-proofing use only, do not embed any of these profiles within your artwork.
2. Copy and paste the .icc or .icm files into the following locations depending on your computer platform below:
C:/Program Files(x86)/Common Files/Adobe/Color/Profiles
MAC OS X
If you are using Mac OS 9:
/System Folder/Color Sync/Profiles
/System Folder/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles
*Depending on older versions of OS X you may be required to save the .icc files to /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Profiles
HOW TO SETUP PHOTOSHOP COLOR SETTINGS
While in Photoshop click Edit (located at the top left of your screen) then select the Color Settings. When the color settings window opens, change each setting below:
- In the Working Spaces section click on the drop-down menu for RGB and set to sRGB IEC61966-2.1
COLOR MANAGEMENT POLICIES
- RGB: Set to Preserve Embedded Profiles.
- You can set CMYK and Gray to Off unless you are using those for other reasons.
- Profile Mismatches: Select Ask When Opening, Ask When Pasting.
- Missing Profiles: Select Ask When Opening
- Engine: Set to Adobe (ACE)
- Intent: Perceptual
- Uncheck: Use Black Point Compensation, Use Dither, Compensate for Scene-referred Profiles
- Uncheck All Options
Click the save button located on the right-hand side of the Color Settings window and save as LOKTAH. Please Note: Once saved these settings will be your default Color Settings for Photoshop every time you open the application.
EXAMPLE OF COLOR SETTINGS AFTER CHANGES
HOW TO SETUP PROOFING
- Click View (at the top of your screen) and select Proof Setup then click Custom.
DEVICE TO SIMULATE
- Click on the drop-down menu and set it to the icc profile that matches the paper option you would like to soft-proof. Please Note: The icc filename begins with LOKTAH.
- Uncheck Preserve Color Numbers.
- Click on the drop-down menu and set it to Perceptual.
- Check Black Point Compensation.
- Uncheck Simulate Paper Color and Simulate Ink Blank.
Click the Save... button located on the right-hand side of the window and name it something unique to the paper type. Filename Example: LOKTAH_Fuji_DeepMatte
If you would like to soft-proof your image on a different papers icc you will repeat the process.
The window should look similar to the example below:
YOU ARE NOW SETUP TO SOFT-PROOF YOUR IMAGES
Please Note: When you want to soft-proof a specific image click view (at the top of your screen) then mouse over Proof Setup, then select the Soft-Proof option you created in the drop down.
To see the difference between your original image and the proof:
PC: Press Ctrl+Y (on your keyboard)
MAC: Press +Y (on your keyboard)
If you make changes to your image make sure to Save As and name the file differently than the original image otherwise you will overwrite the original file.